Checking References: The Most Important Part of the Hiring Process
October 01, 2014 | 9:00 a.m.
This workshop relates to the problematic issues relating to reference/background checks in the workplace. It is designed to train supervisors, managers, human resources personnel as well as agency counsel in the legal parameters of seeking and providing references and background information for prospective and former employees. Topics include:
· Making pre-employment and employment inquiries
· Balancing privacy rights of applicants and employees against employers' interests
· Accessing and using criminal history
· Understanding the requirements of the federal Credit Reporting Act and the California Investigative Consumer Reporting Agencies Act
· Using social media and the Internet in the reference check process
· Responding to reference checks
Workshop participants will review several case studies which will be used to teach the topics in real life situations.