WORK WITH US
Are Your Exempt Employees Really Exempt?
Although public agencies can classify a position as “exempt,” the more important question is whether a court agrees under the Fair Labor Standards Act (“FLSA”). Misclassification of exemption status lawsuits have significantly increased during recent years and pose significant liability for agencies. Our presenters will examine the most common overtime exemptions under the FLSA and discuss key issues to reduce potential liability:
- What are the white-collar overtime exemptions (administrative, executive, and professional, highly compensated) and the computer software exemption for IT employees?
- What are the proper tests for determining if an employee is exempt?
- What supervisory duties must an employee perform to quality for the executive exemption?
- How do the courts interpret the “discretion and independent judgment” factor for the administrative exemption?
- What positions typically qualify for the computer software exemption?
- Which positions are most often misclassified as exempt?
- What should agencies do if they discover a classification error?
Who Should Attend
Human Resources Personnel, Executive Management, Legal
Please note that one registration equals one connection to the webinar. Links cannot be shared.
Liebert Cassidy Whitmore is an approved MCLE provider. Participating attorneys are eligible for 1 hour of MCLE. The person from your agency that registers for this webinar will receive the official set of MCLE forms. In order to receive your MCLE credit, you will need to complete and return these forms that will be available at the workshop.
Please email Jaja Hsu at email@example.com or call 310.981.2091.