WORK WITH US
SB 329 – City Council Members Compensation
Under existing law, city councils can enact ordinances to provide salaries to council members based on the population of the city. SB 329 increases the maximum amounts of salary that can be approved by city ordinance, based on the population of the city. The new salary limits are as follows:
- Up to $950 per month for cities up to and including 35,000 in population.
- Up to $1,275 per month for cities over 35,000 up to and including 50,000 in population.
- Up to $1,600 per month for cities over 50,000 up to and including 75,000 in population.
- Up to $1,900 per month for cities over 75,000 up to and including 150,000 in population.
- Up to $2,550 per month for cities over 150,000 up to and including 250,000 in population.
- Up to $3,200 per month for cities over 250,000 in population
The bill would authorize the salary of council members to be increased not exceeding the greater of either:
- 5% for each calendar year from the operative date of the last adjustment of the salary in effect
- An amount equal to inflation since January 1, 2024, not exceed 10%
Adoption of an ordinance to increase council member compensation in open session must occur during at least two regular meetings of the city council.
(Amends 36516 of the Government Code.)